EU citizens may apply for Bulgarian residence and Bulgarian ID card with their national ID or passport. This is a simple administrative procedure which can be completed in only two working days and requires personal presence at the time of the application. This service is particularly attractive to British citizens who fear restrictions about their free movement in the European Union after Brexit.
Requirements to obtain Bulgarian residence and Bulgarian ID card for EU citizens
- Opening of a personal bank account and deposition of at least 2,000 € as evidence of sufficient funds to support your stay in Bulgaria without relying on the Bulgarian social system (the funds can be withdrawn on the same day after the bank issues a bank reference);
- Singing a rent contract for twelve months as evidence of accommodation in Bulgaria (full assistance is provided) or providing a property deed;
- Purchasing a health insurance valid for twelve months and covering personal injuries of up to 30,000 € (the applicant may use his European Health Insurance Card – EHIC instead of purchasing a new insurance in Bulgaria);
- Preparing the set of application documents.
Our fee for the assistance to obtain Bulgarian residence and Bulgarian ID card including the opening of a personal bank account and lease agreement for 12 months & completing all other formalities is only 900 €.
For more details to obtain a Bulgarian ID card, please feel free to contact us.
Benefits of obtaining a Bulgarian ID card and Bulgarian residence for European citizens
- The Bulgarian residence permit and Bulgarian ID card are a precondition for family reunification for your non-EU family members to Bulgaria and the European Union.
- Bulgarian legislation considers cohabiting couples as a family. You are not required to present a valid marriage certificate or CBR check. Full assistance will be provided to obtain the status of cohabiting couple.
- Obtaining a Bulgarian ID card is considered advantage to be granted tax residence of Bulgaria.
- The Bulgarian residence and ID card will guarantee hassle-free visits to Bulgaria and other EU countries for British citizens after the Brexit.
- The Bulgarian ID card is a precondition before you exchange your driving license for a Bulgarian driving licence.
- Holding a Bulgarian ID card, you don’t need your passport or national ID card to incorporate a company in Bulgaria. The ID card is considered a valid document for the registration of a company in Bulgaria.
How to bring my non-EU family to Bulgaria?
Considering family reunification in Bulgaria, the law distinguishes two regimes – general and special. The general regime applies to non-EU citizens who reside legally in Bulgaria. The special regime applies to EU citizens holders of Bulgarian residence and Bulgarian ID card.
Advantages of the special regime:
- The non EU family members of EU citizens do not need to hold a valid long-term D visa in order to apply for Bulgarian residence (opposed to the general regime). The non-EU spouse or cohabiting partner can enter Bulgaria on Bulgarian national visa or Schengen visa and apply for Bulgarian residence straight away.
- Bulgaria recognizes the cohabiting status of partnership. You are not required to be married to apply for family reunification in Bulgaria.
- No need to present a valid marriage certificate and CBR check (opposed to the general regime).
- EU citizens can apply for family reunification for their non-EU parents.
How to obtain tax residency in Bulgaria?
Under the Bulgarian legislation you may claim Bulgarian tax residency if 1. You reside in Bulgaria for not less than 183 days annually or if 2. You prove that the center of your vital interests is in Bulgaria. Under point 1, you will be considered tax resident of Bulgaria only in the year when you have resided for 183 days. On the other hand, you are not required to satisfy the residence requirement if you justify that the center of your vital interests is in Bulgaria. To determine the center of vital interests, the tax office will consider the location of your business, the country where you pay social contributions, residence permits, properties etc.
For more details about obtaining tax residency in Bulgaria, please feel free to contact us.
Expired Bulgarian ID card
If your Bulgarian residence card or Bulgarian ID card have expired our lawyers will assist you to obtain a new Bulgarian ID card.
- Bulgarian driving license for EU citizens
- Bulgarian Tax residence
- Tax optimization and Accounting services
- Company formation in Bulgaria