EU citizens may apply for Bulgarian residence and Bulgarian ID card with their national ID or passport. This is a simple administrative procedure which can be completed in only three working days and requires personal presence at the time of the application. This service is particularly attractive to British citizens who fear restrictions about their free movement in the European Union after the Brexit transitional period.
Bulgarian residency for EU citizens
EU citizens can benefit from the relaxed route to obtain 5 years Bulgarian residency card. The residency card can be exchanged for a 10 years valid permanent residency card wihtout any physical residence requirements in Bulgaria.
Requirements to obtain Bulgarian residence and Bulgarian ID card for EU citizens
- Proof of accommodation. This requirement is easy to satisfy by presenting a valid rental agreement or a title deed.
- A valid European Health Insurance Card – EHIC . If you do not have a valid EHIC card you can buy a local health insurance. The cost of the insurance is 75 Euros for 12 months.
- Preparing the set of application documents.
The service is completed within three working days. You will submit your residence application by 12pm on Day 1, and you will be photographed by 2pm on Day 2. Your residence card will be issued on the next day. If you are not able to take the card personally, you may authorize our team to collect it on your behalf.
For more details to obtain a Bulgarian ID card, please feel free to contact us.
Benefits of obtaining a Bulgarian ID card and Bulgarian residence for European citizens
- The Bulgarian residence permit and Bulgarian ID card are a precondition for family reunification for your non-EU family members to Bulgaria and the European Union.
- Bulgarian legislation considers cohabiting couples as a family. Full assistance will be provided to obtain the status of cohabiting couple.
- Obtaining a Bulgarian ID card is a precondition to be granted tax residence of Bulgaria. To obtain Bulgarian tax residency you are not required to stay for 183 days in Bulgaria. According to the Bulgarian legislation you can claim Bulgarian tax residency if 1. You reside in Bulgaria for not less than 183 days annually or 2. You prove that the center of your vital interests is in Bulgaria.
- The Bulgarian residence and ID card guarantees hassle-free visits to Bulgaria and other EU countries for British citizens after the Brexit.
- The Bulgarian ID card is a precondition to exchange your driving license for a Bulgarian driving licence.
- Since 1st of August 2019 banks in Bulgaria refuse to open deposit bank accounts (accounts for the deposition of the founding capital of the company) unless the director and shareholder of the company is a resident of Bulgaria. Holding a Bulgarian ID card, you are considered a resident of Bulgaria and can set up a limited company easily.
How to bring my non-EU family to Bulgaria?
Considering family reunification in Bulgaria, the law distinguishes two regimes – general and special. The general regime applies to non-EU citizens who reside legally in Bulgaria. The special regime applies to EU citizens holders of Bulgarian residence and Bulgarian ID card.
Advantages of the special regime:
- Family members of EU and UK citizens do not need to hold a valid Bulgarian D visa in order to apply for Bulgarian residence (opposed to the general regime). The non-EU spouse or cohabiting partner can enter Bulgaria on a Bulgarian C visa or any Schengen country visa, and apply for Bulgarian residence straight away.
- Bulgaria recognizes the cohabiting status of partnership. You are not required to be married to apply for family reunification in Bulgaria. Our team will advise you about the conditions to be meet to receive the status of a de facto couple.
- EU and UK citizens can apply for family reunification for their non-EU parents.
- Non-EU spouse can apply for family reunification for her non-EU parents.
Documents Required for Family Reunification in Bulgaria
You have to provide only a marriage certificate for your spouse and birth certificates for your children. If you would like to bring your parents you have to provide your birth certificate to justify your relation. Your spouse has to provide her birth certificate for the family reunification procedures for her parents. There is no need of no criminal certificates or other formalities.
The certificates should be legalized in the country of issuance before presented to the Bulgarian authorities.
Bulgarian residency for UK citizens
UK citizens can apply for Bulgarian residence as EU citizens till 31st of December 2021. Their family members can enjoy the relaxed EU family reunification procedures after Brexit and obtain 5 years residency cards as EU citizens.
UK citizens and their family members will maintain their rights of residence under the legislation, applicable to the EU citizens if they are legally residing in Bulgaria at the time of Brexit or hold a valid Bulgarian residence card. They can use their residence for a period of up to one year after the end of the transition period or the expiry date of their residence card – whichever comes first. Within this period they should apply for renewal of their residency
Bulgarian residency for UK citizens after Brexit
If you didn’t have the chance to obtain Bulgarian residency before the Brexit, you are now required to apply for a D visa first. There are several straight forward options that allow you to obtain a D visa and Bulgarian residency hassle-free. To learn more about Bulgarian residency for UK citizens by way of setting up a trade representative office of a UK company, please get in touch with our team.
How to obtain tax residency in Bulgaria?
According to the Bulgarian legislation you may claim Bulgarian tax residency if 1. You reside in Bulgaria for not less than 183 days annually or if 2. You prove that the center of your vital interests is in Bulgaria. Under point 1, you will be considered tax resident of Bulgaria only in the year when you have resided for 183 days. On the other hand, you are not required to satisfy the residence requirement if you justify that the center of your vital interests is in Bulgaria. To determine the center of vital interests, the tax office will consider the location of your business, the country where you pay social contributions, residence permits, properties etc.
For more details about obtaining tax residency in Bulgaria, please feel free to contact us.
Expired Bulgarian ID card
If your Bulgarian residence card or Bulgarian ID card have expired our lawyers will assist you to obtain a new Bulgarian ID card.
- Bulgarian driving license for EU citizens
- Bulgarian Tax residence
- Tax optimization and Accounting services in Bulgaria
- Company formation in Bulgaria